This week I decided to
make a Katsu Don (Pork cutlet over rice) from an article a read in my English
class. The article was Turning Japanese by Heidi Julavits, she talked about she found it hard to adjust to
Japanese food, and when she was in Japan she always craved for sweets. However,
after she left Japan, she craved for a bowl of katsu don. I felt like I can
relate myself to the author when she was in Japan. I have lived in Taiwan for
almost all my life, and coming to the states was a big change for me. I studied
in an international high school, so I adjusted myself quickly to the culture.
There was only one thing I couldn’t adjust myself to, which was the lack of
Asian food in my body and soul.
Ever since I came here, I’ve been eating a lot of western food like
hamburger, but in deep down, I was never satisfied with the food. I wanted
rice! To me, rice is like fuel for my body, every day when I missed my daily
supply of rice, I felt like no energy to do anything productive for the whole
day. Don’t get yourself confused I’m not talking about Thai rice; I was talking
about legit Japanese rice. There were only 3 ways to get that on campus, buy
them from super market in university, go to an Asian supermarket, or drive to
an Asian restaurant to get it. All of them were either sold out or I wasn’t
able to buy it because the lack of transportation.
This time cooking was easier than last time, I felt like it’s either
I’m starting to get the hang of it or maybe its because my Asian heritage
inside me knew how to cook good Asian food. One thing I noticed in todays
cooking was the difference between butter and vegetable oil. Last time, I used
a lot of butter for my cooking and I ended up smelling really oily, like I
haven’t taken a shower for days. This time I used vegetable oil to deep fry the
pork cutlet and it smelled way better than butter. I don’t know if it’s because
of the different chemical bonding between the two types of oil, but a shout out
to Julia Childs or her fans “Butter is good in a lot of cooking,
but you smell bad afterwards.”
Although, I said today was easier than before, I didn’t say it was
perfect and that nothing had gone wrong. The pork cutlet was a little bit
thick, the instruction said it should be ¼ inch thick, but because I lacked a
hammering tool. I had to use my fist to punch it, which wasn’t really
effective. However, it did release a lot of piled up mid term stress inside me.
Every time I punched the pork, an image showed up in my mind that I punched the
teacher for every hard or confusing question he or she gave. It felt so good.
Also, I didn’t have sauce pan for cooking rice, so I ended up going to the
super market and bought microwave rice. It wasn’t that bad, but I haven’t tried
cooking my own rice so I can’t tell. Next time, I will definitely try cooking
my own rice.
In conclusion, everything turned out pretty good. My friends really
liked the katsu don I made, and I even got a lot of likes and comments on
Facebook for it. Nothing beats the feeling when you get recognized for what
your doing. After finishing the dish, I felt happy deep down, because cooking
is really fun. You get recognized, you learn something new, and you release a
lot of stress as a university student. I always used gaming to release my
stress, but I think cooking is a more effective way than gaming. This is the
end of my blog for today, Andrew out.
Reference:
1.
Julia Childs and Simone Beck. (1970). The Art of Mastering French
Cooking, New York.
2.
Heidi Julavits. (2009). Turning Japanese, New York.
No comments:
Post a Comment